Friday, September 30, 2005

BIRTH DISCLAIMER

I wanted to add something to the top of all of my posts about birth because it is such a personal topic for so many.

The most important thing I want to express is that I'm never here to pass judgement.  I've seen birth in many different settings, with many different caregivers and have formed opinions about what I think is the best way to do things.

That doesn't mean it's the best way for YOU to do things.

We can still be friends and I will always love and support you if you opt for a c-section.

Same for an epidural.

Even for an unassisted childbirth.  (although this does quite frighten me)

I want to see women educating themselves when it comes to birth.  I want them to shop for a competent caregiver that has the same values they do.  I want them to ask questions and demand informed consent.  I want them to seek the best care possible and not just go with "whatever."

Because birth is a big deal.

So no, if I write about homebirth I'm not judging you for having your baby in the hospital.  And if I write about how to manage un-medicated labor I'm not judging you for having an epidural.

I don't think I'm a big tough girl for delivering a baby un-medicated.  I simply had the right education, the right caregiver, the right support system and most importantly the RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES.  I could have just as easily had a footling breech and needed a c-section like anyone else!

And that's why I can't judge.  Your circumstances are so unique to you.

Please don't judge my efforts to help educate you and other women on what I've learned, seen and experienced.  I'm here to help.  I hope.

This is your body, your baby and your birth.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...